Shaped by volcanic activity around 2.5 million years ago, Timaru’s reefs provided habitat and food-gathering places for Māori and later influenced where European settlers landed and developed the town.
The braided rivers made travel overland difficult, so transport by sea was vital. Ships anchored offshore, and small boats ferried passengers and cargo. Between 1864 and 1892, 30 ships were wrecked or refloated along Timaru’s coast.
To make shipping safer and more efficient, reduce transport costs and support regional growth, construction of Timaru’s harbour began in 1878. The new port connected South Canterbury’s farms, businesses and communities with markets around the world.
Caroline Bay was once the name used for a much wider stretch of coastline, extending from Washdyke to Pātītī Point. Building the port changed how sediment moved along the coast. Sand accumulated where the sea once reached the cliffs, forming the shoreline and sandy bay we see today.
To the north of the port, the growing sandy bay was developed for recreation by the council and community volunteers, and Caroline Bay became known as the “Riviera of the South” and the “port resort”. To the south, reclaimed land developed into an industrial area for transport, storage and business.
Timaru’s port was one of only two independently owned ports in New Zealand, with 71.43% held by Timaru District Holdings Ltd, a subsidiary of the Timaru District Council. A valuable community asset, the port supported enterprise, employment and regional growth.
Wool led exports in the 1860s, followed by grain in the 1870s. From 1885, frozen meat became another major export, particularly to Britain. By 1913, Canterbury contained half of New Zealand’s wheat-growing land.
By 1912, its abundant wheat, turnips, canola and potatoes had helped to earn the region a reputation as New Zealand’s food bowl.
Today, the port supports industries including dairy, wool, meat, timber, fishing, horticulture and tourism, alongside cold storage and container services.
Caroline Bay has also continued to evolve as a place for recreation, shaped by the council and generations of community volunteers. In the 1930s, thousands visited Timaru for carnivals and shows organised by the Caroline Bay Association. A sculpture trail was established in the 2000s, then this art history trail, and in 2023 a new themed playground opened, integrating art and stories of the area.
Prosperity generated through the port, agriculture and other local industries also helped create opportunities for the arts.
Artists were supported by local collectors, educators, societies and an active arts community, helping creativity and art collecting flourish in South Canterbury.
Many of these artworks are now cared for in the Aigantighe Art Gallery collection, established in 1956 with 80 works gifted by the Grant family and the South Canterbury Arts Society. The significant permanent collection has grown to over 1,700 artworks, many of which were donated. The collection includes works from New Zealand, the Pacific, Asia, and Europe, dating from the sixteenth century
to the present day.
You can explore some of these artworks along the coastal trail, connecting with Timaru’s people and stories of the past through the eyes of artists.
The Aigantighe Art Gallery is free to visit at 49 Wai-iti Road, Timaru.
The Friends of the Aigantighe are volunteers who support the Gallery and the wider community in celebrating the love of art.
These signs are a collaboration between Aigantighe staff, volunteers, and WuHoo Timaru. Some of the artworks were commissioned and gifted to the Aigantighe Art Gallery. These commissions, along with selected works from the Gallery’s collection, were photographed and printed onto signs. Artist and historical information was included, along with photographs from the South Canterbury Museum.
The signs have been placed to ensure the art connects to the view or theme of the location.